Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Threaded Indented

TOPIC: How To Remove Weathering/Paint w/o a Lathe

How To Remove Weathering/Paint w/o a Lathe 1 month 3 days ago #58913

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 329
First off this assumes that the part of the hilt you want the weathering/paint off of is uniformly circular. This will not work w/o modifications on irregular parts of a hilt. For the purpose of this brief tutorial the PVC pipe is standing in for the hilt and the sandpaper is facing the wrong way for the purpose of illustration.

1) Depending on the job at hand you may want to start out with a harsher grit such as 100 if you're clearing out a gouge or some heavy weathering. Personally I start out with 220 grit because it closely emulates what SF uses on their hilts.

2) Take your hilt (PVC standing in for the hilt) and place it over the sandpaper where you want the weathering/pain removed.

3) Next make a wrap the sandpaper around the hilt to make a tight sleeve.

4) Now keep the hand grasping the sandpaper still while you use the other hand to torque the hilt so that it spins under the sandpaper. You'll repeat this process several times as you pause to look at the hilt to make sure that you're applying even pressure along the length of the hilt for an even finish. It's important to keep the sandpaper with the grain in a linear, horizontal direction and to torque the hilt in the same direction (clockwise/counterclockwise). If you slide the sandpaper up and down the hilt against the grain the finish will be very scratchy.

Pre Sanding:

Post Sanding:
Last Edit: 1 month 3 days ago by h2soy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaden Korr, Borommakot, HotRod, Kouri

How To Remove Weathering/Paint w/o a Lathe 1 month 3 days ago #58964

• Kouri
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 319
Not sure what benefit there is to photographing the sandpaper backward, but other than that - *thumbs up* - pretty much how I got the brushed finish on my Graflex.

Folks wanting a polished hilt can go a few steps further, working their way up to 400, 600, even 1000 grit, then achieving a near-mirror-finish with some aluminum polish.

How To Remove Weathering/Paint w/o a Lathe 1 month 3 days ago #58968

• h2soy
  • Curio Collector
  • Thank you received: 329
Not sure what benefit there is to photographing the sandpaper backward
I didn't want to scratch the PVC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Threaded Indented

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Graflex pommel issue? (2 Posts)
    • The pommel is threaded. Have you tried to gingerly use the d-ring to leverage the pommel open? You...
    • COSPLAY: What side are y... (11 Posts)
    • I was on Etsy looking at costumes and noticed that Hamptons Jedi Outfitters is now using one of your...
    • Saber Forge Katana Champi... (16 Posts)
    • Quote: Kiakahi- Thanks for the great review! I appreciate your in-depth look (and a little history too). I...
    • Graflex pommel issue? (2 Posts)
    • I have a vengence body with a graflex pommel. Is the pommel threaded? It will not unscrew from the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 4352
  • Latest Member: isacchernandez12
  • Total Posts: 43.3k
  • Total Topics: 3140
  • Total Sections: 22
  • Total Categories: 104
  • Today Open: 8
  • Yesterday Open: 5
  • Today Answer: 63
  • Yesterday Answer: 61