Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: LED Heatsink

LED Heatsink 10 months 1 week ago #69984

• GoBardock
So I am still very new to the lightsaber community and I would like to know all I can before I begin any builds of my own.
I am confused as to what purpose an LED Heatsink serves. I found no information on the product description besides that it has something to do with the LEDs.
Can anyone help me answer this question??
The administrator has disabled public write access.

LED Heatsink 10 months 1 week ago #69987

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1324
Basically, though LEDs are much more efficient than incandescent lighting, they do still generate some heat. Put 4 of them together in a confined space, and it becomes enough to risk melting of surrounding electronics. So, the heat sink is used to draw a good percentage of the heat away from the the vital parts, and provide a cooling effect.
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: GoBardock

LED Heatsink 10 months 1 week ago #69988

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 322
There's multiple purposes:

1) heat dissipation. the LEDs can give off a fair amount of heat when running at full power and that heat needs to be dissipated. The main purpose of a heat sink is to pull heat away from the source.

2) holds the optics: The heat sink also holds the LED star pad and a lens on top of it in place. In the case of the SF heat sink, the LED star is placed on top of the bottom piece, the lens on top of the star, and then the bottom is screwed into the top upper housing which holds everything in place.

3) blade stop: In many hilts the heat sink also functions as the stopping point for the blade when inserted into the hilt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GoBardock

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Shoto saber design, ISO i... (29 Posts)
    • I had missed that, thanks. How hard would it be to get a properly sized o-ring over a sealed hilt?
    • Future customer lol (7 Posts)
    • Thank you all I couldnt resist recording her she was just to cute lol
    • Hilt Design Gallery (1199 Posts)
    • For Tyeth or anyone for that matter if you see any of my designs and you want to build upon it or...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 5836
  • Latest Member: Weve
  • Total Posts: 60.7k
  • Total Topics: 5036
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 134
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 4
  • Today Answer: 6
  • Yesterday Answer: 32