Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free)

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 6 days ago #83117

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 155
Living in Norway, I've had the pleasure of seeing the Last Jedi tonight (Finland, Sweden and Denmark have the premiere the 13th as well I think), so I figured why not start a topic.
Of course spoiler-free as I figure the premiere isn't until tomorrow or Friday for some other areas in the world (and the simple fact that I want everybody who might read this to just get a feeling of how the movie is, not an entire plot synopsis - admin please put spoiler tags on anything that might be considered giving too much away, but I'm hoping I'll manage on my first try).

Well what can I say :P
My most immediate reaction would be... :woohoo:
This movie grabs you and doesn't let go of you until all your emotions have at least been tugged and pulled and wringed and beaten and broken and just... wow.

I think the best way I could describe the movie is by me thinking that this must be how people left the cinema after Empire Strikes Back :ohmy:
Now don't get me wrong, that's not an indication of tone, storybeats or plot twists or anything - nor is it a hint of the quality of the movie (to me I think Empire will always be my favourite Star Wars movie no matter what because a perfect movie + nostalgia is hard to beat).
First off, I need to see this movie at least once if not twice or thrice times over to fully take it all in and appreciate it and even then I think time will be the judge of it - but for now it's definitely a worthy and wonderful sequel that is a great movie with some absolutely epic scenes that stand out and make it reach for the stars.
I love what it did and where it went and how it caught me by surprise, but there were times when the rug was pulled underneath my feet and right now I got an internal conflict that's making it hard for me to get a proper verdict on it (just you know, a Star Wars fan that loves all the lore and such and is now faced with new truths and such - a paradigm shift :P )

But what I mean when I compare it to Empire it's not so much the feel of the movie itself or the tone; Rogue One was closer to the dark tone of Empire than this was (in my opinion of course) and like said it doesn't follow or copy any screenplay tropes that we know from Empire (sure there's a few stuff in there that will make for a comparison with the older movies, but it's not like Force Awakens did with a 'soft reboot' - and that's nothing on the quality of TFA, I l watched it yesterday to get prepared for today and it's still awesome and captures that Star Wars feel fantastically :lol:

No, what I mean is that I think when you'll leave the theatre, you'll have the same feeling as people did who went to see Empire back in 1980.
They expected it to be like Star Wars/ANH; another epic space adventure that would follow a similar structure to the first movie, but instead got totally blown away by this movie that was a proper sequel - taking new twists and turns and not going for the obvious path of copying or building on the familiar framework from the former movies, but taking the base (of the house that is Star Wars) and both adding onto it, but also demolishing and tearing down some parts to make room for new designs.

Now as a lifelong fan, that is something that I feel is hard to cope with :P Like said, I won't say I hate the movie for it, but there is a conflict of me going; but... what...?
Like said, I think this is how people left the theatre as well with Empire and going; but that's not what I was expecting, so I don't know how to feel?!
Again, that's not per se a verdict on the quality, cause like said, the movie is amazing in both looks and storytelling and I won't be surprised that in time and with hindsight (and with Episode IX there to give a full picture), we might look at Episode VIII and go; man it was the best, but we just couldn't see it cause it threw curveballs our way that we weren't expecting.

Change and stuff that is new is sometimes scary and feels weird, but after a while it'll start to feel like it should've always been that way and before you know it, you'll never want to go back.
Sorry for rambling on, I'll cut it off here; hopefully I haven't given anything away, but at the very least I'll definitely recommend seeing it multiple times to make up your mind, cause I definitely will be going back as soon as possible - and as many times as possible (to let it all soak in ;)
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!
Last Edit: 1 month 6 days ago by CrimsonJax88.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Greysider, =Ottomatix=, For Tyeth, jbl420

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83148

• Dauntless 7
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 103
I hadn't bought my ticket yet as wanted to avoid the crowds and honestly just wasn't as excited about seeing this one as The Force Awakens. But after getting glimpses of the variety of opinions regarding the directions this new episode is taking the SW world... I can't hold off any longer. So am going to see it on Imax 3D on Sunday morning. I was kind of shocked that at this late date that I could still get good seats on both weekend days for the morning viewing.

Really I just want to see Kylo Ren. ;) Then will focus closely on the entire movie another time. :whistle:

Revenge of the Sith is likely my favorite episode although the original SW movie was at that time a magical awe inspiring moment in time... perhaps even impacted the direction of some persons lives. :)

By the way I'm half Norwegian and once had a doozie of a last name. Would love to visit there but the language is too difficult to learn. :blink:
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Dauntless 7.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, =Ottomatix=

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83153

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Sooo pumped for this movie! Going after work Friday morning at 4:30am! :cheer:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, =Ottomatix=

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83155

• =Ottomatix=
  • Platinum Member
  • "The fear of loss is a Path to the Darkside, Train yourself to Let Go of everything you Fear to Lose"
  • Thank you received: 553

TFA left me with a poor opinion, :oops: however
The franchise is back on track :woohoo: :P B)
Last Edit: 1 month 4 days ago by =Ottomatix=.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dauntless 7, Greysider

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83160

• The Custodian
  • Thank you received: 3
It was... Good. Not great, but good. It still had some dumb moments imo, but overall I enjoyed it enough to want to go back and see it again.

That said, I do kinda have a gripe about the lack of verbal world building about the galaxy as a whole... I get they dont want to repeat the verbal diarrhea of the preauels but the original three still had little snippets here and there about other worlds and feats that this one lacks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83163

• CrimsonJax88
  • Platinum Member
  • Dutch guy living in Norway!
  • Thank you received: 155
Dauntless 7 wrote:
By the way I'm half Norwegian and once had a doozie of a last name. Would love to visit there but the language is too difficult to learn. :blink:
Haha, just a Dutch guy here that emigrated to Norway, but the language came rather quick to me in less than 5 months; figure though that is because Dutch and Norwegian share a Germanic ancestor language, so many of the words were easy to learn just by using some of my own language, English and German.
For my ally is the Force - and a powerful ally it is!

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 4 days ago #83169

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1002
Hi CJ88,

I saw TLJ on Thursday afternoon (14th) and as you say WOW!! So much to digest and take in. IMHO I think they did a good job on the film considering how difficult it is to make the sequels now.

Glad you enjoyed it too.

For Tyeth

The Last Jedi (Spoiler-Free) 1 month 3 days ago #83180

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
:angry: :dry: :whistle:
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

Member Login

Latest Posts

• New Prodigal Son Owner.. (10 Posts)
    • Great Hilt and a must have in anyone's Collection regardless of it being your first, second or...
    • SithStalking (11 Posts)
    • Quote: almost surprised this didn't the 'marble-lous' look :whistle: :P :lol: :lol: but why settle for...
    • Quick question(s) about t... (11 Posts)
    • I had a yellow LED once. The color was good, but not very bright. I had SF swap it to Amber and it's...
    • Quick question(s) about t... (11 Posts)
    • Quote: Quote: Quote: I would say that Amber is closer to that color than Yellow would be. The SF Yellow is a much...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6452
  • Latest Member: madaqasq
  • Total Posts: 64.2k
  • Total Topics: 5429
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 6
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 72
  • Yesterday Answer: 47