Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: K4 build

K4 build 3 months 2 weeks ago #80446

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Had a little down time so I decided to get started on my Korbanth K4 build by wiring up the LED in the emitter. I'm doing this in AFBB style, so completely unweathered cause I love how it looks clean. For the LED I did a tri cree in Rb/B/W with half ohm resistors on the blues and a 1 ohm on the white. To save as much room in the body as possible I have the resistors inside the thin neck. I am just waiting on a couple batteries to come in and then my accent LEDs and resistors and I should be finishing it up in the next week or two. Pictures to come.

Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Execute66, Muns, scifidude79

K4 build 3 months 2 weeks ago #80453

• Muns
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 139
Good thinking putting resistors in the thin neck section, I'll have to remember that next time I do some wiring. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
;)

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82310

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
I finished my build and I'm super happy with the outcome. In the process of finishing I changed my mind on leaving the hilt polished and gave my first attempt at weathering a go. it turned out fantastic, it's like I left it on tatooine for a few decades :lol:

The internals are all on a Goth3Designs K4 master chassis, Prizm v5.1 soundboard, 20 mm tcss speaker, switchcraft recharge port, panasonic 3400mAh 18650 protected battery.

full chassis:

soundboard uncovered:

bottom panel uncovered (battery is separated by connector):

recharge port and speaker section:

crystal chamber:

emitter with LED c-clipped for security:

resistors uncovered:

Thin neck assembled:
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by SadiraOrphesu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, scifidude79

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82311

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
LED quick connects to chassis:

The painting process was interesting, first I sanded down the grenade section and the booster section, then I used textured multitone spray paint on the grenade and thin neck to add dirt and wear to it. after painting I sanded down and scratched up the grenade section to show wear from handling and Im very pleased with the outcome.

freshly dried paint before sanding:

The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82312

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Here is a 360° view of the final weathering:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

K4 build - FINISHED! 1 month 4 weeks ago #82313

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
and then the final product:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brax, KelbornX, For Tyeth, OvrcAHst, scifidude79

K4 build - FINISHED! 1 month 4 weeks ago #82317

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1504
Breathtaking man! Just awesome!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82327

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 223
That's stunning. Fantastic work.

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82331

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1001
Hi Sadira Orphesu,

Outstanding work, I'd have sworn that grenade section had been picked up off a battlefield. I posted a pic of an actual WW2 grenade part on another forum and it looked identical to your piece.

Congrats on a fine build.

For Tyeth

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82343

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 442
Very nice! Lovely weathering. The more I see weathered K4s... the more I think I need to have mine done. :lol:

I'm curious, how does that speaker sound in the hilt with that chassis setup? I like the idea of the GOTH chassis, especially with a crystal chamber, but I have been thoroughly unimpressed with 20mm speakers so far. If it has enough resonance to pump it up a little I think about that route a little more.

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82349

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Thanks so much guys, each build keeps making me fall more in love with this hobby and everything that can be done to a hilt, the little details are beyond fascinating to me. With all the reading and research i do during a build my girlfriend must think I'm nuts by now :lol:

It's such an honor that you'd say that For Tyeth. I spent a lot of time looking obiwan hilts made with authentic found parts and this particular one was a huge inspiration

Part of the reason I was hesitant to weather it and was leaning towards a polished finish was because I had never done it before and I knew that if I was going to have this hilt weathered I'd want it to look as much like the found parts prop as it could. After all of the research I did I kinda started to see the "clean" obi wan hilt from episode 3 as a conpletely separate hilt from the ANH hilt, almost like a prototype since they fabricated a hilt for Ewan McGregor that was inspired by but not exactly the same as the Alex Guinness prop, and I decided to do this build right for myself Id have to weather it :lol:

In other words, kelborn...

Honestly, I couldn't be happier with how it turn out and it's almost like the k4 was made to be weathered. I sanded off all the powder coat on the outter emitter in preparation for polish and in the time that it took me to finish the build it had began to tarnish naturally which looked awesome. After I decided to do the weathering, I took some white vinegar and just wiped it down and let it sit for 20 minutes then wiped of the residue and it helped speed up the tarnish and it gave it this amazing naturally weathered look that looks great above the grenade.

As for the sound I went in with extraordinarily low expectations based on vechaljien's k4 build since he used two so I wasn't expecting too much from one. That being said when the prizm is set to max volume I actually think it's pretty loud and Im pretty impressed with the sound. I think maybe the recharge port between the speaker and the end of the pommel creates a better resonance chamber so it could explain an improvement in the sound. but maybe my expectations were just so low that anything would sound good haha. Tomorrow i'll compare it next to my venom and give you a more specific comparison on that.

K4 build 1 month 4 weeks ago #82352

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 442
I was leaning towards and "early exile" look with mine.... but I just know that if I weather it completely, I'm going to have to immediately buy an Inception. :lol: I like my shiny Obi too. The one in that reference pic looks sick.

I saw someone just stuff a 28mm into one... waiting for his chassis to hit Shapeways to see how he did it.

K4 build 1 month 3 weeks ago #82360

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
Ooo I just saw Jas OT's mid-era exile weathered K4, that's a gorgeous take on the hilt. The inception is definitely on my list but my next project is gonna be the sid 2.0 I ordered with the K4, when it gets here. Can't get ahead of myself yet :lol:

Holy crap a 28mm in a K4?? That must have been a feat of cram-fu for sure, I'm not even sure where that would fit in there without some serious machining. Maybe sideways underneath the clamp?

Anyway, I turned the Prizm all the way up and put it next to my Venom at the low volume level and the two sabers are pretty comparable. The saberforge speaker is, of course, slightly louder but you can definitely hear the 20mm humming along side and the swing and clash sounds are evenly matched and can be heard clearly with both sabers right next to eachother.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• Crystal Blade Plug (30 Posts)
    • I think you could make it if you keep the used materials to a minimum so the light can still reach...
    • Crystal Blade Plug (30 Posts)
    • I know this is probably not going to be possible, but I figured id ask anyway: Is it possible to...
    • SithStalking (9 Posts)
    • That was a fun one to build. I can attest to the sheer size of it, which presented it's own...
    • (6 Posts)
    • Quote: limited???? curse my college brokeness Oh no... ask family for early birthday $$! I thought this was...
    • FOR SALE - Flex 2.0 with ... (1 Posts)
    • $225 - price includes shipping This is an EMPTY static hilt. It is a Korbanth Flex 2.0 with a TGS...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6452
  • Latest Member: madaqasq
  • Total Posts: 64.1k
  • Total Topics: 5428
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 5
  • Yesterday Open: 7
  • Today Answer: 41
  • Yesterday Answer: 47