Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87914

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1087
Hello Everybody,

It has been over two years since I ordered my Disciple and felt it was time I got a new saber to keep it company and so I have taken the jump and bought this beauty.

Now before I go any further I have to give a big shout-out and thank you to JAS-OT who kindly offered to install a hilt for me. Sadly due to circumstances I was unable to take up his fabulous offer but I hope he gets a lot more better paying commissions as his brilliant attitude and skills deserve it.

However I have had the chance to buy an empty hilt here in the UK and am going to install it. It will be a long term project as I have to save up funds as and when I can (and buy locally to avoid expenses like HMRC import taxes).

So onto the hilt! It is as mentioned a One Replicas SSQY Super Stunt Qui-gon Jinn model (launched around Nov last year I believe - though I only heard of it in the last 10 days). I ordered it on the afternoon of 12th March and it arrived at midday on the 15th! This guy delivered it...

Here is the saber (and my laptop in the background to prove it's me!)

The hilt is amazing, the finish is nice (the exposed shroud section needs a slight polish as all hilts do) and the black anodising is really clean and even. The hilt is a one piece construction and measures 11.3 inches (28.5cm) long...but here is the killer fact the saber measures LESS than 1.5 inches (4cm) wide. It is thinner than my Disciple! That's gonna make my install very tight with a 25mm ID but I have my eye on a dedicated chassis for the hilt so that may make it easier!

I will end here and I hope you like the saber (I may do a build diary if I can get a better camera) Thanks for looking in.

For Tyeth (future installer)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Execute66, Eddlyss64, OvrcAHst, DK44, Jas-Ot, Vechaljian, scifidude79, Rhyno

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87915

• Execute66
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 744
That is a very nice hilt, and all the best with the installation. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87916

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Execute66 wrote:
That is a very nice hilt, and all the best with the installation. :)

Thank you Execute66, it is going to be a long term project but that will give me time to decide which soundboard and LED set-up I want to use. (Depends on what I can fit in there!)

kind regards,
For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87919

• White Jedi
  • I see you have constructed a new lightsaber. Your skills are complete. Indeed you are powerful, as the Emperor has foreseen
  • Thank you received: 17
Nice one, I like that Wookie hilt.

Just curious as to who you will use for parts here in the UK? I've recently come across KR Sabers and their parts shop The Saber Armory who seem to make some really good stuff and have a reasonable selection of parts (more than I thought anyone local would).

Any others?

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87922

• Jas-Ot
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 511
Thesaberarmory run by Khal of KR sabers is basically the TCSS for Europe now. The two have partnered up on bunch of offerings and most things you could get at TCSS you can get through TSA. Both have some different things too, but regardless, you should be able to get everything you need except for maybe a chassis. Khal has some very nice 28mm speakers that are much better than the typical Veco bass speakers. Not quite as good as Adrian Tan's from Saber Essentials but much better than the Vecos and "premium" flat speakers and worth the extra money.
www.etsy.com/shop/thekybershop

www.facebook.com/jasotsabers
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, White Jedi

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87923

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi White Jedi,

Thanks man. There is another saber distributor near London that sell parts and between the two stores I should be able to source all the parts I need. Plus I know a little about electronics having been a Theatrical lighting engineer so I know what I can order from suppliers connected to the theatre trade! I will PM you the name of the other UK store.

Thanks again,

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: White Jedi

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87924

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Jas-Ot wrote:
Khal has some very nice 28mm speakers that are much better than the typical Veco bass speakers. Not quite as good as Adrian Tan's from Saber Essentials but much better than the Vecos and "premium" flat speakers and worth the extra money.

Hi Jas-Ot,

I may have to rely on one of the Veco speakers as the ID of the SSQY is 25mm so I could only probably squeeze a 23/4mm speaker in there. However the chassis I have seen designed for this hilt holds a 20mm basic speaker.

And once again thank you.

For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87925

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 539
Yup, KR Sabers / The Saber Armory and JQ Sabers are main parts stores in the UK. JQ has most things that are offered on TCSS, including MHS parts, Plecter Labs soundboards, etc. The Saber Armory just keeps expanding, and the two stores compliment each other pretty well since they don't have too much overlap (yet).

For Tyeth wrote:
I may have to rely on one of the Veco speakers as the ID of the SSQY is 25mm so I could only probably squeeze a 23/4mm speaker in there. However the chassis I have seen designed for this hilt holds a 20mm basic speaker.

Saber Essentials / Adrian Tan sells a 24mm speaker. TCSS should be getting stock of more of his speakers in soon; they just got in his 28mm 4ohm bass speaker the other day. Definitely go for that 24mm over a 20mm if possible.

Also... congrats on the new hilt! I have the Super Stunt Graflex on the way to me. Was tempted by this one... very tempted...
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by KelbornX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth, White Jedi

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87926

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi KelbornX,

I always feel awkward naming other vendors on this forum but JQ Sabers was the other site I was referring to. I sent White Jedi a PM.

And may I congratulate you on your Apprentice re-install (I think I saw a new YouTube video demo recently of a hilt belonging to you!)

I also saw your name as having ordered the SSGf on the site I ordered the QY!

For Tyeth
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by For Tyeth.

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87933

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Congrats on the new purchase. It's a cool hilt for sure. :)

For Tyeth wrote:
I have my eye on a dedicated chassis for the hilt so that may make it easier!

If it's the one from One Replicas 3D on Shapeways, don't bother. I bought one of those for my hilt and it's got some issues. For starters, it's a really weird layout. Also, I tried putting an 18650 in it to see how it fit and the fit wasn't good. When I went to take the battery out, I snapped the chassis in two because it's got some extremely thin parts in the middle. However, Goth apparently has something in the works for this hilt.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by scifidude79.

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87938

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1766
Congrats on the new hilt, and best of luck with the build.

May all your wires be tidy, your LED ridiculously bright, and your solders rock solid!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87940

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Brax wrote:
May all your wires be tidy, your LED ridiculously bright, and your solders rock solid!

Yeah, because that always happens when you build sabers. :silly:

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87941

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hello SciFiDude and Brax,

Thanks guys for the kind words and encouragement.

@SFD, I was looking at that chassis being as it was bespoke but I did think the thing looked a bit thin (though with renders you can never be too sure) So thanks for the warning, maybe the KR all-in one chassis may be better? (the .99in models)

@Brax, Thank you sir for the encouragement. Thanks to having spent many hours (days? weeks? Years?) here on the forum I have picked up quite a few useful tips such as warming up and twisting strands of wire together and using heatshrink. But I am sure at some point I will have to pick the brains of fellow members here again!

kind regards,

For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87942

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1766
That is what is so great about this place! We have novices hungry for knowledge, and experts willing to share that knowledge. B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87945

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
For Tyeth wrote:
@SFD, I was looking at that chassis being as it was bespoke but I did think the thing looked a bit thin (though with renders you can never be too sure) So thanks for the warning, maybe the KR all-in one chassis may be better? (the .99in models)

I thought that may be the one you were looking at, as it’s the only dedicated chassis I know of. Yeah, the ribbed section between the two large sections is what broke, as it’s extremely thin. The rest is pretty solid. That part also has a slight “step” in it, which is what was preventing the battery from going in fully. All told, not the best design. I’m probably going to make do with the half with the board sled since I paid to have that thing printed, but I recommend avoiding it.

.99” will have to be sanded down because the ID is .98”, but that may be the best choice. I was going to sand down a Goth .99” chassis until I found that other one.

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87947

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
scifidude79 wrote:
All told, not the best design. I’m probably going to make do with the half with the board sled since I paid to have that thing printed, but I recommend avoiding it.

.99” will have to be sanded down because the ID is .98”, but that may be the best choice. I was going to sand down a Goth .99” chassis until I found that other one.

Hi SFD, thanks for the info. That is strange that the centre section was pinched in as you can't insert the battery from the emitter end because of the shelf for the soundboard! And those Goth .99 models were the others I meant (I think they were originally designed as a collaboration with Khal at KR to fit his KRS range). So I may have to get one of those and do a bit of sanding, but hopefully a new "better" chassis will come out by the time I have funds to buy one!

Thanks again,

For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87950

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Darth Ryo of Goth 3D has confirmed he’s working on one. A buddy of mine contacted him. He also has a One Replicas section in his Shapeways shop, but it’s currently empty.

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87951

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi SFD,

Yeah I read that on another forum where OR was displaying these hilts and he mentioned a chassis was in the works. When I searched Shapeways and saw the SSQY chassis I mistakenly thought it was the one mentioned. I will keep my eyes peeled and check in on Darth Ryo's page in future.

A guy in the UK who has this hilt too has knocked up a 3D printed chassis of his own design but it is a 2-part model and he says you need to superglue the halves together. I am hoping to get an All-in-One solution but I will have to see what develops and what boards any new chassis hold.

cheers,
For Tyeth

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87955

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
Yeah, I may wait to see what he's cooking up. I have other hilts I can install in the meantime. Plus, I was dumb and ordered my hilt without a switch, thinking that would be easy to acquire. Yeah, not so much. It turns out anodized 12mm AV switches are much more rare than their 16mm cousins. So, I either have to order a switch from One Replicas or from China. I'll probably go with OR.

For Tyeth's new One Replicas SSQY 1 month 1 week ago #87957

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
Hi SFD,

So I'd better not say that I'd ordered a spare black AV switch that I'm gonna modify with the "redtop" thumbscrew?
It's funny actually cos when I unboxed everything I thought he had forgotten to include my switches but he'd stuffed them INSIDE the hilt!

There is also a covertec wheel which I haven't attached because it is only a decorative one and doesn't actually work in a covertec belt clip so I'm ordering a black aluminium thumbscrew version.

For Tyeth
  • Page:

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6835
  • Latest Member: ValkyrieGondul
  • Total Posts: 69.2k
  • Total Topics: 5824
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2