Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Advice for practicing

Advice for practicing 4 months 2 weeks ago #79228

• Yakub64
  • There is only force.
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello people. I'm looking for an advice! Which one of the sabers is the best to practice wielding in your opinion? Which one lays the best in hand, which one is the most comfortable to move around fingers? I'm in possession of Bastion and its not very best because of a bit sharp edges and long cavities. Maybe Im just a newbie ;) who just complains at sharp edges but I think it depends on hilt too? Not every material is the same and will be the best after all. What are your besties? :silly:

Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Brax. Reason: Inserted photo
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79580

• SadiraOrphesu
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 94
Personally I think the Consular apprentice saber is the best option. Smooth body design and well defined, smooth choke point. I got one for my sister and for a versatile but for comfortable saber it's hard to beat. they discontinued it from the site, it seems, but you might be able to find a secondhand one for sale on one of the many forums.

Besides that my second choice would be the aeon based on how it looks, though I don't have one so I can't speak to the lack of sharp edges.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yakub64

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79581

• Blue Wielder
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
I 2nd the Aeon recommendation for having fewer than average sharp edges and comfortable choke point. Balance is good with a 32" or shorter blade.

Important question for Yakub. What are you practicing?
Are you a fencer? Martial artist? Are you just spinning for fun (tricking, contact sword)
Do you prefer 2 handed vs. 1 handed?

The shotos are actually great for folks who use 1 handed weapons such as fencing, kung fu/wushu and southeast asian martial arts.

I have the Bastion shoto and it's a great length and weight to pull of high speed high impact moves. It's got some pretty sharp edges which makes it less comfortable to use.

I don't practice any 2 handed sword styles so I can't speak to any 2 handed hilts. Perhaps a kendo practitioner can address this better.
Current SF Sabers: Aeon V1 Mint Green, Vengeance QC Cyan
Mystery Box Loot: champion exhalted in indigo with energy vibration upgrade, shoto bastion
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Blue Wielder.

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79613

• Yakub64
  • There is only force.
Are you a fencer? Martial artist? Are you just spinning for fun (tricking, contact sword)

Im really interested in having skills on spinning and wielding for fun, I just want to know how to do it, and it looks really cool. For now I have this one blade, its 37 long and pretty haeavy I must say.
Also there is school in my town that teaches martial arts based on Star Wars fighting styles and Im interested to practice fighting with them so you can say I wanna do casual fighting/wielding.

In future I want to make good cosplays and maybe some nice choreography with people so I need to be confident ;)

Im in love with dual blades so that will come next but for now I want to focus on spinning single blade.

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79617

• Bdurist
  • Thank you received: 19
If you're have problems with spinning and tricks go on YouTube there's plenty of tutorials for tricks and spins. If you're having problems with weight start off with a toy or a dowel . Just get into the movements before you use your Bastion or whatever you end up using.
It's what I've done even though I don't have a good dueling saber yet.

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79618

• Blue Wielder
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Yakub64 wrote:

Im really interested in having skills on spinning and wielding for fun, I just want to know how to do it, and it looks really cool. For now I have this one blade, its 37 long and pretty haeavy I must say.
Also there is school in my town that teaches martial arts based on Star Wars fighting styles and Im interested to practice fighting with them so you can say I wanna do casual fighting/wielding.

In future I want to make good cosplays and maybe some nice choreography with people so I need to be confident ;)

Im in love with dual blades so that will come next but for now I want to focus on spinning single blade.

In that case I double recommend the aeon. It really is very comfortable and in my opinion it looks super cool. The shoto route might be too limiting for you as it's really best for single handed dueling applications. There is not enough weight at the back of a shoto hilt to counter the weight of the blade when spinning for fun/show.

Also, might be a good idea to get some shorter blades to try out. The 37" is the hardest to use while the 26" will be the easiest.
Current SF Sabers: Aeon V1 Mint Green, Vengeance QC Cyan
Mystery Box Loot: champion exhalted in indigo with energy vibration upgrade, shoto bastion

Advice for practicing 4 months 1 week ago #79621

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1004
Hello Jakub64,

As Bdurist has pointed out there are a lot of YouTube videos on saber spinning. In no particular order here are a few names you might want to check out that I have found to be helpful.

Saberproject, I believe are a German based group who produce tutorial videos in English, from basic to highly advanced tricks. (They also did an interview with Nick Gillard the choreographer for the Prequels, well worth watching).

venturous1v, This gentleman takes you through the basics and even does the moves in slow motion and shows the tricks from different angles.

TPLA, Tera Prime Light Armory, Darth Nonymous and Master Nero Attoru have quite a few great videos (mainly on forms but a few on tricks and spinning). Very slick and well produced.

And finally but by no means least, we have two members of this forum who do great videos on spinning and saber artistry. They are Darth Cephalus and Samhain138. Two great guys who produce great videos. Darth Cephalus also produces informative reviews of products and Samhain138 has been known to battle 7ft tall Giraffes!

I hope these names help get you started and good luck with your spinning!

For Tyeth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yakub64, Beastbornoheart

Advice for practicing 4 months 4 days ago #79840

• Yakub64
  • There is only force.
Honestly - I havent tried wielding for a longer than 5 minutes so cant say much, but I think the first times with dowel or something like that will be the best instead of spinning a heavy saber like Bastion is. Its was really hard for me for the first minutes to spin him. I think I will try something else instead.

I know the youtuber TPLA, I looked on some of their videos specially for dual sabers, how to move them, but didnt have much time for getting into it.
Didnt know the rest of them, I hardly need to watch them!

And especially when money will come in the next year I will order the Aeon :D or if I wont have troubles with my Bastion I will but something else. Im planning to buy maybe another Bastion and make it double. In future also something for Kylo's cosplay and of course my beloved "Grey Jedi" cosplay with yellow Monarch :)

Your replies and advices are really good and helpful, thank you a lot Saber members!
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Advice for practicing 4 months 4 days ago #79849

• Beastbornoheart
  • Life is a storm, my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What matters is what you do when that storm comes. Dont back down and they will remember you.
  • Thank you received: 5
Yakub64 wrote:
Honestly - I havent tried wielding for a longer than 5 minutes so cant say much, but I think the first times with dowel or something like that will be the best instead of spinning a heavy saber like Bastion is. Its was really hard for me for the first minutes to spin him. I think I will try something else instead.
Something that really helped me when i first started sabering, is finding a form or style you really like that fits your preferred dueling style and practice and learn the motions and movements of that form. It really helps to build muscle memory which will increase your endurance for the spinning and showmanship. The videos from TPLA were a big help as well.
Chaos is my harmony. My chains are broken. The force has freed me.
Last Edit: 4 months 4 days ago by OvrcAHst. Reason: quote tag correction for referenced content

Advice for practicing 4 months 4 days ago #79850

• Beastbornoheart
  • Life is a storm, my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What matters is what you do when that storm comes. Dont back down and they will remember you.
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry messed up on quoting you :D im pretty new to forums lol
Chaos is my harmony. My chains are broken. The force has freed me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: For Tyeth

Advice for practicing 4 months 3 days ago #79882

• Yakub64
  • There is only force.
Sorry messed up on quoting you :D im pretty new to forums lol

Its fine really, im not used to them too :cheer:

I think I will go with this:

Cuz I have this in my home ^^
Last Edit: 4 months 3 days ago by Yakub64.

Member Login

Latest Posts

• ASP Wave 2 Renders (46 Posts)
    • Wow, I might actually go for an ASP now, this new wave 2 looks great!
    • The Wait Begins 4.0 (915 Posts)
    • I have ordered my parts for mauler at 8 of november+( and still no shipping and no updates+((
    • 300$ mystery box (20 Posts)
    • So... Status update. I ordered mine Dec 18 and I ran out of patience for waiting, and radio silence,...
    • ASP Wave 2 Renders (46 Posts)
    • Quote: I knew it was one of those two, but I didn't look it up to confirm which one before I saved the...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6472
  • Latest Member: Darth Krakus
  • Total Posts: 64.4k
  • Total Topics: 5449
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 136
  • Today Open: 0
  • Yesterday Open: 6
  • Today Answer: 4
  • Yesterday Answer: 67