Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Lightwhips! Practical Qs

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 4 weeks ago #81297

• Major_Tom
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 64
We have saberstaves, pikes, shotos, katanas, axes, and all others with different fighting styles, but i can find very little on practical use of a lightwhip in combat. Anyone have any experience on using/defending against these?
The Force flows through us all, in all of its peace and passion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 4 weeks ago #81324

• OvrcAHst
  • Thank you received: 1913
Major_Tom wrote:
Anyone have any experience on using/defending against these?
Cue KiakahiSonic7 ;)

Anyone have any experience on using/defending against these?
Wait for the whip wielder to either tire/tangle or suicide* (3m26s) :P :lol:

* after multiple re-spawns of yourself

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 3 weeks ago #81326

• Beastbornoheart
  • Life is a storm, my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What matters is what you do when that storm comes. Dont back down and they will remember you.
  • Thank you received: 5
Using one takes a bit of practice but the advantages can be pretty great and hard to defend against, that being said the best way to beat them is using jar-kai. While duel-wielding, again with some practice you can effectively tangle up the light whip and pull it fro the wielders hand :D It a strong learning curve dueling against and with a whip.
Chaos is my harmony. My chains are broken. The force has freed me.

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 3 weeks ago #81329

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1086
Hello Everybody,

From my experience of defending from a Lightwhip I found the technique Beastbornoheart mentioned to be effective. There is an important point to remember and keep in mind about the technique and that is regarding Angles. When the Lightwhip is swung freely the whip flows in an arc originating from the emitter/hilt and you can predict reasonably easily its path.

But when attempting to entangle the whip your blade becomes a pivot point around which the whip will curve. This essentially "blocks" and shortens the whip but it also allows the remaining free portion of the whip to arc from the point of contact with your blade, altering it's arc and the angle it comes at you from. It is best to try and entangle the whip in the first third of it's length (the third nearest the tip of the whip blade) as this shortens the length of free portion that will wrap around your blade and lessen the chance of you being clipped by the shortened end.
Whilst the whip is still entangled you should be able to initiate a counter-strike with your secondary saber (this is based on you using Jar-Kai and blocking with your Non-Weapon Hand Shoto and countering with your Weapon Hand main saber).

The whip may not get as deeply tangled in this method and your opponent can free his/her whip but those fractions of a second give you the counter opportunity, then you can disengage and hopefully repeat (if necessary).

When defending with a single saber you can still use the entanglement technique. When the snag happens you can advance, folding the whip back on itself and initiate a counter strike moving your blade and controlling their whip towards them. Just take care as a lightwhip blade may still be classed as capable of scoring a damaging hit just by making contact with you (without it being swung i.e hanging down but then brushing against you)

hope these tips help (though I'm sure there will be more experienced duellers out there that can add their experience or correct my techniques)

For Tyeth

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 3 weeks ago #81330

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Defending against one: Get out of range and use blaster. After all, nothing beats a good blaster at your side.

Seriously, if someone is skilled with a whip, you're in trouble. Otherwise, they're just as likely to hit themselves as they are you. Even in the fictional Star Wars universe, these weapons were extremely rare because of the massive amount of drawbacks they have and the completely different training required to wield one effectively.

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 3 weeks ago #81337

• Beastbornoheart
  • Life is a storm, my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What matters is what you do when that storm comes. Dont back down and they will remember you.
Yeah if they dont manage to hit themselves with it another effective technique is feigning an attack with an offhand weapon and use it as a projectile instead :D throwing anything at the whip wielder should throw them off balance and you can press the attack while they are surprised. The whip is most effective at range and if you close the distance it cant be used properly. If you rush the attack they cant properly snap the whip.

Lightwhips! Practical Qs 5 months 3 weeks ago #81338

• Beastbornoheart
scifidude79 wrote:
Defending against one: Get out of range and use blaster. After all, nothing beats a good blaster at your side.

Seriously, if someone is skilled with a whip, you're in trouble. Otherwise, they're just as likely to hit themselves as they are you. Even in the fictional Star Wars universe, these weapons were extremely rare because of the massive amount of drawbacks they have and the completely different training required to wield one effectively.

Blasters are also really effective as the whip doesnt offer a suitable means of blaster deflection, that being said however if they do successfully block your blaster fire with a whip i would suggest running fast and far because they are adequately skilled and it will possible take a great deal of effort to defeat them lol
Last Edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Beastbornoheart. Reason: editing grammar lol

Member Login

Latest Posts

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5816
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 2
  • Yesterday Open: 2