Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My Hilt Was Boring!

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80200

• HereticxXx
  • Thank you received: 12
I bought this hilt back in the first run of sabers from the indiegogo thing. Finally got around to putting the electronics in a couple of months back. A couple of weeks ago I realized that the reason I never messed with it is that it's boring as shit. So I decided to customize it a bit and throw a light weathering on it.
First thing I did was add a few copper accent pieces and weathered brass screws.

Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by HereticxXx.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80201

• HereticxXx
Took off the cheap fakey leather wrap and added a legit leather handle.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80202

• HereticxXx
This is where I'm at with it now. I added some battle damage, cracks, and burns. Broke and filed off some edges. Weathered the emitter and the switch with some Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black. Darkened in the dirtier areas first then soaked the entire piece in a diluted mix. Finish with a piece of silver Scotchbrite to even it all out. Haven't done the handle and pommel yet. I still have to figure out what to put on in place of the silver buttons on the emitter. Still trying to find tiny brass fittings to run tubing from the switch to the emitter, but I still can't find anything small enough. Any suggestions?

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80208

• Gen Croix Man
  • Premium Member
  • Your focus determines your reality
  • Thank you received: 46
I can tell that it isn't boring any more. So far it's looking really good. The brass accents and weathering was an excellent choice. Can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!
"The ability to speak does not make you intelligent."

"Do you hear that? That is the sound of a thousand terrible things headed this way."

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80211

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
  • Thank you received: 539
Very nice! LOVE the copper pieces. Weathering is great too. Aluminum Black is so nice to work with.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80220

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1087
HereticxXx wrote:
Still trying to find tiny brass fittings to run tubing from the switch to the emitter, but I still can't find anything small enough. Any suggestions?

Hi HereticxXx,

Have you tried checking out scale model supplies shops? They sell stuff to build OO and N gauge railway models and may have brass tubing the right diameter for what you want. They also sell decorative strips, plates and Angled Plates in various metals/sizes too (the angled plates are good as replacements on Prodigal Son control boxes and that sort of thing.)

Nice work on your hilt so far though and I hope this gives you a few ideas,

For Tyeth

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80237

• HereticxXx
I'll definately check that out. All I have left on this one is the fittings and tubing I want on the emitter. I ditched the leather grip on this hilt as it didn't seem to fit the theme. Plus I really dig working with the copper. Definately not finished, but getting closer.

I really have to get rid of the stupid buttons on the emitter and replace them with something cool.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Greysider, For Tyeth, scifidude79, Beastbornoheart

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80239

• Beastbornoheart
  • Life is a storm, my friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What matters is what you do when that storm comes. Dont back down and they will remember you.
  • Thank you received: 5
That saber is looking fantastic! It looks like its been to hell and back :D
Chaos is my harmony. My chains are broken. The force has freed me.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 4 weeks ago #80240

• For Tyeth
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1087
Hi HereticxXx,

I agree with you, the leather (as nicely done as it was) didn't quite suit this hilt. It really has a Phillip Pullman/Scott Westerfeld/ H.G. Wellls, Steampunk vibe to it. It also reminds me of the Protosaber brass hilts Brax posted a month or so back.

Hope the search for tubing works out I can't wait to see the finished article,

For Tyeth

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80243

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1765
I like the vibe you have created with this saber! Got almost a steampunk thing going. Like a Jedi (or Sith) that has been living in the Outer Rim for a LONG time, and having to keep his saber patched together using whatever was available. B)
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beastbornoheart

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80255

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
The transformation continues, and it is GLORIOUS! You are making me SERIOUSLY consider changing the plans for one of my empty hilts.... :lol:

I like the idea of the buttons on the emitter... just not THOSE buttons. Maybe a replica Graflex glass eye (weathered the match the saber)? Or some valve/fitting part?

Brax wrote:
Like a Jedi (or Sith) that has been living in the Outer Rim for a LONG time, and having to keep his saber patched together using whatever was available.

I always get a Coruscant Underbelly or Nar Shaddaa scrap vibe from steampunk style sabers. ;)
Last Edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by KelbornX.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80266

• scifidude79
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 364
Brax wrote:
I like the vibe you have created with this saber! Got almost a steampunk thing going.

I was thinking the same, I love Steampunk designs. The copper looks great, more so than the leather. I think the whole saber is just fantastic.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80351

• HereticxXx
I finally figured out what I need to do with the tubing and fittings but unfortunately it entails using a block of brass and making it myself. Should be 100% in a couple of weeks then on to the next one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX, Greysider, For Tyeth, scifidude79

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80354

• Brax
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1765
Might not be complete, but awesome none the less!
Imagine what you will know tomorrow....

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80405

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
What did you use for weathering the copper and brass? Thinking of taking some inspiration for one of my hilts. :)

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80406

• Greysider
  • Platinum Member
  • "I am not your kind. I do not feed off vengeance. I am a Jedi." - Quinlan Vos
  • Thank you received: 359
Beautiful. Looks like it’s been through hell and back! Love it! :)
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80436

• HereticxXx
The BC Aluminum Black doesn't really work on the brass screws but it does work well on the copper. For the brass screw heads and copper I use a cold blue solution for rebluing metal parts on guns. I just dilute the heck out of it with water and apply to the entire piece for a short period of time until it darkens to the point you want it. Wipe it with a paper towel before it gets too dark. To lightning it back up I just hit it lightly with silver Scotchbrite. To darken around the edges and the screw holes just use a q-tip without diluting first. It works very fast if you don't seriously dilute it first so just be prepared to wipe it off very quickly.

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80437

• KelbornX
  • Platinum Member
  • Peace is a lie...
HereticxXx wrote:
The BC Aluminum Black doesn't really work on the brass screws but it does work well on the copper.

Good to know! I always some AluBlack on hand, never knew it worked on copper too.

HereticxXx wrote:
For the brass screw heads and copper I use a cold blue solution for rebluing metal parts on guns.

Was it another product from BC that you used on the brass? I know that have a few different ones.

HereticxXx wrote:
I just dilute the heck out of it with water and apply to the entire piece for a short period of time until it darkens to the point you want it. Wipe it with a paper towel before it gets too dark. To lightning it back up I just hit it lightly with silver Scotchbrite. To darken around the edges and the screw holes just use a q-tip without diluting first. It works very fast if you don't seriously dilute it first so just be prepared to wipe it off very quickly.

First time I used it on a whole hilt was straight from the bottle. SO... much..... sanding.... :lol:

My Hilt Was Boring! 6 months 3 weeks ago #80443

• HereticxXx
I really only used the aluminum black on the aluminum parts and atiny bit to touch up the copper. It really did nothing on the brass screws. For the copper plates I used a watered down cold bluing solution from Kleenbore called Black Magic. I used the Black Magic full strength on the brass screws and it turns them black instantly. Wipe off with a towel or some fine Scotchbrite and they come out perfect. This is what I use but I suspect any cold blue will work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: KelbornX

Member Login

Latest Posts

• VIRTUAL SABER BUILDER??? (19 Posts)
    • Damn, its not working on my phone since weeks and i was just thinking "meh, OK i'll wait -.-"...
    • Sabercore 3.0 (7 Posts)
    • I am getting a message that the cable has malfunctioned and that windows does not recognize it
    • Pre-Order Sabers Question... (1 Posts)
    • I know pre order sabers will have an extended period where they are placed upon the already existing...

More Topics »

Forum Statistics

• Total Users: 6834
  • Latest Member: reliken
  • Total Posts: 69.1k
  • Total Topics: 5823
  • Total Sections: 24
  • Total Categories: 145
  • Today Open: 4
  • Yesterday Open: 1
  • Today Answer: 29
  • Yesterday Answer: 19